Thursday, August 20, 2015

Treasure Chest Thursday ~ Relief Society Magazines



When I was back home last September helping mom go through stuff and pack to move out I discovered these old goodies that she didn't want.

Of course I wasn't going to let her put them in the yard sale! I volunteered to take them off her hands for the following reasons (not in any particular order):

  1. My obsession with ephemera
  2. There's history in them there books
  3. They were grandma Hazels
Actually only two of them have her name on them. The other one has the name "Mrs Ethelyn Bee" stamped on it. I had never heard that name before, but I discovered that she is grandma Hazel's first cousin once removed. I found some photos and newspaper articles on her FamilySearch profile. Poor woman died in an automobile accident.

The Relief Society Magazine is an excellent genealogy and family history resource. Many issues are filled with photographs, true pioneer stories, and other events your ancestor may have been involved with.

For example, there is a section called "Notes From the Field" and this particular photo is in the June 1942 issue:


If you have ancestors that were in the Relief Society, or are just interested, you can read digital copies of some of the Relief Society Magazine issues on the BYU library website.

I have been busy scanning old issues and with my addiction to Geni, you know I had to create a project.
Join the world's largest family tree

There were also two other LDS journals. One of them belonging to grandpa Bill. This one is called the Improvement Era. You can also read some of these online.

The other one is called Young•Woman's Journal and it belonged to Vera Madsen who is a cousin of grandma Hazel. There are a few issues of these at Hathi Trust Digital Library.

I'm sure that these magazines were among the ephemera that grandma Hazel kept. And I'm quite sure that's where my obsession for ephemera gene came from.




Leslie Ann







2 comments:

  1. Leslie Ann,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2015/08/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-august-21.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site